Strange Days on Fringe


Strange Days Indeed.


When I heard Peter remark to Lincoln Lee, "Strange days" I started thinking to myself, "Oh, cool another Doors reference".  So I began to sing along in my head as the show wound down, "Strange days indeed, most peculiar Mama, whoa!"  The show ended I'm still singing to myself when I realized I wasn't singing the Door lyrics but something from John Lennon instead.

The lyrics I was singing come from Lennon's "Nobody Told Me".  Here's a sampling.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Everybody's smoking and no one's getting high
Everybody's flying and never touch the sky
There's a UFO over New York and I ain't too surprised 

If there can be zeppelins flying over New York in the Red universe, what's a few UFO's over the Big Apple on the Blue side?  In case you were wondering if there were any Fringe like references from the Doors' Strange Days here's another sampling.

Strange days have found us
Strange days have tracked us down
They're going to destroy
Our casual joys
We shall go on playing
Or find a new town 

I bet the people of Westfield VT. were thinking the same thing after David Robert Jones reduced their town to just a few square yards


As a movie buff there was another relation to strange days and that was a movie by the same name.


I've seen it and it is a bit strange indeed.  It was a movie by Kathryn Bigelow with an assist from James Cameron.  The movie was critically well received but was a box office flop.  Bigelow went on to bigger and better things with "The Hurt Locker" and Cameron, of course, had Titanic and Avatar.  Ralph Fiennes must be a favorite of Bigelow's as he was in Strange Days and The Hurt Locker.  The movies theme dealt with a dystopian future which is very Fringe like and even involved so called "Squid" devices that allowed the wearer to experience whatever the device had in its memory.  Like a murder.  I know Walter likes to "experiment" but I don't see him getting a thrill over experiencing someone else's death.


You know, it could very well be that Peter's intent was to not give us a pop culture seminar but a clue to next week's episode.  I'm thinking with the two part "Brave New World" we will see some strange days indeed.  Hmmm, I wonder if Peter is a Shakespeare fan?

O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world!
That has such people in't!
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts