Penny Dreadful - Fresh Hell?



Penny Dreadful began its much anticipated second season with "Fresh Hell."

But how fresh was it?

I take it by the title we are to understand with a whole new season there is a whole new "fresh hell" our players have to deal with.  But how fresh is it for Vanessa Ives to be once again threatened by dark forces and the boys rally to save her?

That's what they did last year!

Yes, I understand she vibrates like a tuning fork whenever she is exposed to the influences of the dark arts.





All it took was a few words of "Verbis Diablo" from Madame Kali and poor Vanessa was brought to her knees.


May I proffer a brief Star Wars interlude here?

Did anyone else get the Star Wars vibe when Miss Ives extended her hand?  I've been so saturated with Star Wars lately that is all I see!


Mind you I'm not complaining, I love it.  I do hope there is some mystery left by the time the movie comes out.  And I would have love to have seen Vanessa "force levitate" Madame Kali from her hiding place and bring to the center of the park and ask her,

"Is there something you want to say to me?"


I suppose while we're at it, if Vanessa would've  given Kali a little force pinch to the ol' windpipe she would solve a lot of her problems.  And therein lies the rub.

Wouldn't Miss Ives be better served if she used her powers as a lightning rod for evil to search out evil and carry the battle to them instead of being the victim?

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Having her the tortured soul may get a little tired quite quickly.


 No I'm not down on Penny Dreadful. Just a little worried.  I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Like whoever the genius was to have Eva Green walk through the fresh snow dressed in her Victorian regalia.

She looked magnificent.


Another great touch was having her fly into the arms of Sir Malcolm upon his return. After Malcolm dispensed with Mina last season he told her, "I have a daughter." It's nice to see two people that suffered so much find solace in each others arms.


Love Triangle


The "B" plot line for this episode is the one I've been anticipating since last season.

The creature impresses upon Victor that he needs a mate. Victor finds said mate by murdering the TB stricken Brona.  While incubating, Victor talks to Brona and forms a tender attachment.

“We are bound on a wheel of pain, thee and me. I ask you, what is Dr. Frankenstein without his Creature?”

What a great line.

If only the creature knew how much alike he and his creator are.  That same wheel of pain will soon include Brona as the two will no doubt vie for her affection.

And then there's Ethan Chandler.  How will he react when he sees Brona is still "alive?"  When he last saw her she was in the care of the good Doctor.  Will the "Lupus Dei" be too distracted in defending Miss Ives to vent his wrath upon the Doctor.  What of the Creature's new job at the wax museum.  They are recreating the massacre scene at the Mariner's Inn where Chandler took out the entire bar.  Upon investigating the details of the massacre for the museum will the Creature discover the truth behind Chandler and use it against him?

"I believe in curses. I believe in demons. I believe in monsters"

Me too Miss Ives.

Comments

  1. Makes me want to watch this show. I've never seen it. Might pick it up on DVD eventually... would it be worthi it, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not faint of heart it is. I watched the most recent one last night and they took creepy to a new level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts