Who Shot September?
Only a show like Fringe could give us a long awaited reveal that villain David Robert Jones is back and then twist our little minds with September's statement that Olivia has to die no matter what! Add to this, September has been ventilated with a gun shot wound!
What I am going to tackle here is the mystery of who shot "JR" the Observer. But before I go there I want to ask, is it really important that Olivia has to die? I thought the important MacGuffin here was Peter being out of place and his effort to get back to where (he thinks) he belongs. Isn't that what this season is all about? The Universe being turned inside out, so to speak, because Peter manipulated the machine? Why is it now that Olivia has to die?
That being said, here is my list of suspects and their possible motives.
- Suspect - Peter - Motive: Well why wouldn't he want to shoot September? Thanks to him and his bald headed ilk Peter is adrift in this timeline. A man without a universe. In a moment of passion, Peter may confront the man who tried to have him erased and decide a bullet would serve to vent his frustration. Granted, September didn't have the heart to totally wipe him clean but Peter doesn't know that. Peter is a smart cookie and he may put together September's original plan.
- Suspect - Olivia - Motive: Speaking of smart cookies, how long will it be before she puts things together? Or here's a twist, good ol' time traveling September explored so many futures that the Olivia we all know and love had enough and decided to plug September for ruining her life and taking Peter away from her respective timeline!
- Suspect - Altlivia - Motive: Not as good a shot as Olivia (Which may let our girl off the hook, otherwise he'd be dead.) She is a little trigger happy and impulsive in nature. Peter revealed to her via Lincoln that at the end of the day she would do the right thing. Does this "right thing" mean to eliminate September. Yes, I know, they all say, "What's an Observer?" How long do you think that will last?
- Suspect - David R Jones - Motive: In case you haven't noticed I think the Observers will finally become front and center and whose machinations will be damaged by a possible change in the time line? David Robert Jones of course. DRJ is no dummy either, he obviously has major plans for both universes. With an army of Shape-shifters at his beck and call the only thing that may upset his apple cart is intervention by the Observers. Watch your back September.
- Suspect - Nina Sharp - Motive: This particular iteration of the mysterious Ms. Sharp has a decidedly evil bent to her motives. Who could forget her "War room" speech before Massive Dynamic where she blithely dismisses the victims of her inventions as long her patents are safe. Is she in bed (yuck) with David Robert Jones? Is she acting on his behest in the Blue universe and stands to profit wildly by his plans. September may act to foil these plans and the lovely Ms. Nina can't have that!
- Suspect - Sam Weiss - Motive: Conspicuous by his absence he is the ultimate behind the scenes man with a knowledge of all things multi-universe. If the Observers try to set things right (again) maybe Sam says, "Enough!" and seeks to end it all with a bullet. This is a real wild card but we are talking Fringe.
How about someone really out there? If David Robert Jones can stage a comeback why not Mitchell Loeb or Thomas Newton? Wouldn't you love to see the final episode with a shot going off and all heads turn to see Newton standing there with a smoking gun, he smiles and says, "I'm baaack."
OK, that's a little crazy, we all know deep in our hearts Agent Jessup is the one. That'll wrap up this hole business!